A lot of people offer help (namely visiting teachers) or ask if there is anything they can do to help, myself included. I've found that usually they are well-intentioned or genuine but just don't know how or what they can do to help. Sometimes we have to think a little bit harder on ways we can help someone. We have to be willing to give help that is 'outside of the box'. (As a side note, when someone offers you help, they usually mean it. Take them up on it.) I've come up with some ways to help or be helped:
1. I'd like my visiting teacher to come over and help a child read or read to my children so I can do some things at home in peace. This also doesn't require me to dress the kids, pack them up, drop them off somewhere and be back at a certain time. I can do laundry and work around the house while they are entertained.
2. Instead of bringing me sweets or cookies, how about a nutritious or healthy snacks. My kids will already eat anything sweet on their own - that isn't a novelty. But what if someone dropped off a new healthy snack that their kids enjoy - my kids just might enjoy that. Not to mention: I don't really need any more treats around the holidays to hide from my kids.
3. One things I did for a busy mom that I visit taught was created a FHE packet that included a lesson, activity, and refreshments. I was already making or preparing one for my own family so I just made an extra and dropped it off for her on a Sunday or Monday.
Friday, January 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment