I'll never forget our first Christmas eve in our new home on Yorba street. Chris came home for dinner that evening and we had kielbasa casserole (one of his favorites) while the kids had popcorn chicken. It was memorable because it was our first candlelit dinner. We turned out all the lights and the kids enjoyed the bright flames.
After opening a few gifts that Hadley bought from her school gift shop we read the story of the first Christmas in Luke and tried to have as reverent of an evening as possible with a five, three, almost 2 year old and a sleeping infant. Hadley was so excited to give her gifts - stuffed turtle toys for Vincent and Lauren, a key chain for daddy and a resin teddy bear holding a heart for me. I love that she could have the chance to really feel the true meaning of Christmas - selfless giving. And how excited she was to give and make others happy.
After the kids went to bed I made 'preparations' for the morning and laid down on the couch and found It's A Wonderful Life on television. I can never watch the entire movie but am always amazed at how much I enjoy it and will watch tidbits of it whenever I get the chance. I can't remember what Chris was doing for the most part - I think he was doing work upstairs in his office. I just remember being sooo happy. I don't think life can ever get better than Christmas eve. The tree lights on, gifts under the tree, and sleeping children awaiting the magic of all that Christmas is.
I remember this evening so vividly though and figured there was a reason for this and that I should write it down.
Friday, April 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment